General Dynamics Information Technology Portfolio Manager/Jr Epidemiologist in Silver Spring, Maryland
Our client; the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Branch (AFHSB) of the Public Health Division of the Defense Health Agency (DHA); is to be the central epidemiological resource for the U.S. Armed Forces. They provide timely; relevant; actionable; and comprehensive health surveillance information in order to promote; maintain; and enhance the health of military and military-associated populations.
We are seeking a Portfolio Manager/Junior Epidemiologist to support the Global Emerging Infections Surveillance (GEIS) section of AFHSB.
GEIS supports infectious disease surveillance and outbreak response to enhance FHP decision making in the future operating environment through direct support to the six Geographic Combatant Commands (GCC) and the global DoD laboratory network that operate in all of their areas of operation to provide early detection, prevention and response to infectious disease threats of military relevance. This strategy is executed through (1) global infectious disease surveillance to inform FHP decision making across the GCCs; (2) laboratory readiness to support global outbreak response efforts to understand infectious disease threats to U.S. forces; (3) coordination and collaboration between the GCCs, GEIS partner laboratory network, the U.S. interagency, and international partners; and (4) efficient and effective program administration and management at all levels.
Essential tasks include:
1) Provide programmatic support to the Global Emerging Infectious Surveillance (GEIS) section through development and execution of overall program strategy, project monitoring and evaluation, and epidemiological analysis of program level infectious disease surveillance data.
2) Serve as a subject matter expert in epidemiology and infectious disease surveillance in one or more program areas, including: antimicrobial resistance, gastrointestinal infections, respiratory infections, and febrile and vector borne infections.
3) Provide support to the senior staff through portfolio management, including: biannual proposal review, quarterly scientific evaluation and budget tracking, and data reporting as it relates to improving force health protection.
4) Serve as the point of contact for Principal Investigators with GEIS funded activities, including: requesting reports, providing comments after review, coordinating annual proposal submissions, trouble-shooting submission issues, etc.
Minor tasks may include:
1) Collect, monitor, analyze, interpret, and summarize surveillance data for the purpose of supporting surveillance program management efforts for the DoD.
2) Disseminate the results of analytical studies via technical reports, briefings, presentations, manuscripts, websites and other media based on target audiences based on the guidance of senior team members.
Bachelors Degree in a scientific discipline.
Master of Public Health degree (MPH, MSPH), or similar epidemiology training and experience; including some experience in statistical analysis software packageshighly
5-8 years of related experience.
Solid knowledge in infectious disease epidemiology and public health; and stays current on global public health events
Experience designing and maintaining relational databases
Some experience in a laboratory setting or basic knowledge of laboratory science
Some experience working in an overseas setting preferred
Experience in using Microsoft Office software (MS Outlook; MS Word; MS Excel; and MS PowerPoint)
Technical skills to conduct analyses; write reports; prepare briefings; and coherently present results
Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and able to collaborate with others on projects and investigations
Command of English language and can coherently present analytical results
Team player who collaborates well with other professionals
US Citizenship is a prerequisite for this position per the contract requirements.
NACLC (Tier 3) clearance highly preferred.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Job FunctionScience and Engineering
Security Clearance LevelNone
Full/Part TimeFull Time